The Lorain Lighthouse stands at the north end of the west harbor. Its light is no longer lit, but it remains a constant reminder of the rich shipping history of this area. The first lighthouse consisted of a simple lantern hanging on a pole at the waterâ€™s edge. The first official “light station” was constructed in 1837 and was a wooden structure located at the end of the West River pier. Its beam was powered by lard oil. Later, it was run by kerosene. History books report that within “the next 80 years, Lorainâ€™s light was rebuilt at least twice.” This particular building was built in 1908.
Leave A Comment